Sciatica is a painful syndrome caused by compression of the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is the longest and largest nerve in the body, it travels from your lower back through your hip and buttock down into your leg. Each leg has its own sciatic nerve. Sciatic pain can range from a mild ache to incapacitating pain, which can last for a few hours, or last as long as weeks.
Symptoms of sciatica may include the following:
- a sensation like an electric shock in the buttock or down the leg
- pain is often felt when you sneeze, cough, or go to the toilet
- numbness or burning sensation
- muscular weakness
- pins and needles or tingling
- difficulty moving or controlling the leg.
Sciatica itself is not a diagnosis, but rather a symptom of another underlying condition. These may include:
- herniated (bulging) disc in the lower back
- bony growths on the spine
- arthritis in the low back or hip
- tight muscles in the hip buttock or trauma to the lower back
- pregnancy, due to changes in the pelvis and lower back.
Chiropractic can be useful in relieving the symptoms of sciatica
At In Good Hands Chiropractic, our chiropractors will conduct a thorough musculoskeletal, orthopaedic and neurological examination to find the true underlying cause of the sciatica. Then design a treatment plan based on the cause, symptoms and the history of the individual’s episodes. Sciatica treatment may involve soft tissue therapy to reduce any muscle inflammation or tension, and chiropractic adjustments to realign the vertebra and discs in the spine. Take home exercises and advice will also be recommended, to improve the movement in the area and decrease the severity of your symptoms.
Tips for managing sciatica
Participate in low impact exercise such as swimming, Yoga and Pilates to increase flexibility and back strength
- Try to maintain good posture when sitting
- Do not to sit for long periods, take regular interval every 20mins
- Use ergonomic furniture such as chairs with lumbar support
- Do not sit with your wallet in your back pocket
Don’t let Sciatica be a pain in the butt, give us a call on 02 8095 0393
Copyright © 2015 In Good Hands Chiropractic. All Rights Reserved.